Fiona co-leads CanTest with Willie Hamilton – while she leads on faculty, capacity-building and educational aspects, Willie leads on research. She also heads up the Cambridge hub of CanTest from the Primary Care Unit, part of the Department of Public Health and Primary Care at the University of Cambridge. Fiona has worked as a GP for more than 30 years, and entered the world of research following relocation to Cambridge 20 years ago. After obtaining a doctorate on patient understanding of cancer and other common diseases, she formed the Cancer group in 2009.
A Reader in Primary Care Cancer Research, Fiona’s work focuses on primary care oncology using a wide range of approaches including mixed methods and trials set in general practice. With CanTest Senior Faculty member Jon Emery, she co-leads a joint research programme in Melbourne, Australia and Cambridge on cancer and genetic medicine in primary care. She is also on the steering committee for the CRUK Cambridge Cancer Centre’s Early Detection programme, chairs the NCRI Primary Care Clinical Studies Group’s Early Diagnosis sub-group, and is Chief Investigator on the NIHR-funded MelaTools programme.
Follow Fiona on Twitter @fmw22
University of Cambridge, UK
- A systematic review to evaluate whether dermoscopy can be used accurately and effectively in primary care to improve the timely diagnosis of melanoma
- Multi-parametric magnetic resonance imaging (mpMRI) for prostate cancer diagnosis in primary care
- Establishing the diagnostic accuracy of haemoglobin in faecal immunochemical tests (FITs) in the primary care symptomatic population: a multicentre cohort study
- Understanding missed diagnostic opportunities in bladder and kidney cancer
- International dataset inventory for the CanTest collaborative
- Tests and tools for the detection of ovarian cancer in primary care
- Melanoma risk assessment and tailored prevention in general practice
- Rubin G, Walter F, Emery J, and de Wit N. Reimagining the diagnostic pathway for gastro-intestinal cancer. Nature Reviews Gastroenterology and Hepatology, 2018; doi:10.1038/nrgastro.2018.1
- Stanciu MA, Law R-J, Nafees S, Hendry M, Yeo ST, Hiscock J, Lewis R, Edwards RT, Williams NH, Brain K, Brocklehurst P, Carson-Stevens A, Dolwani S, Emery J, Hamilton W, Hoare Z, Lyratzopoulos G, Rubin G, Smits S, Vedsted P, Walter FM, Wilkinson C, Neal RD. Development of an intervention to expedite cancer diagnosis through primary care: Protocol. BJGP Open 4 September 2018; bjgpopen18X101595