Richard leads the University of Leeds hub of CanTest. He is a part-time GP in Leeds and Professor of Primary Care Oncology at the Leeds Institute of Health Sciences. His research focuses around the interface of primary care and cancer, especially around the diagnosis of cancer in general practice.
Richard is the current Chair of the NCRI Primary Care Clinical Studies Group and the Chief Investigator of the WICKED programme (Wales Interventions Cancer Knowledge Early Diagnosis), funded by Cancer Research Wales. The overall aim of the WICKED research programme is to develop a complex intervention for primary care to expedite the investigation, referral and diagnosis of patients presenting in primary care with symptoms that could be cancer-related.
+44 (0)113 343 6905
University of Leeds, UK
Early diagnosis and primary care trials
- International dataset inventory for the CanTest collaborative
- The role of imaging in the diagnosis of symptomatic lung cancer
- Aids to cancer diagnosis in primary care
- Development of a primary care head and neck risk assessment tool
- Risk of lung cancer in symptomatic patients with negative chest x-ray results
- What factors influence GPs’ decision to request imaging for possible lung cancer?
- Development of a risk assessment tool for ruling out cancer in patients being referred for possible cancer diagnosis
- Stanciu MA, Law R-J, Nafees S, Hendry M, Yeo ST, Hiscock J, Lewis R, Edwards RT, Williams NH, Brain K, Brocklehurst P, Carson-Stevens A, Dolwani S, Emery J, Hamilton W, Hoare Z, Lyratzopoulos G, Rubin G, Smits S, Vedsted P, Walter FM, Wilkinson C, Neal RD. Development of an intervention to expedite cancer diagnosis through primary care: Protocol. BJGP Open 4 September 2018; bjgpopen18X101595
- Bradley SH, Kennedy MPT, Neal R. Recognising Lung Cancer in Primary Care. Avances in Therapy 2018; 1-12
- Neal RD, Sun F, Emery JD, Callister ME. Lung Cancer. BMJ, 2019, 365:I1725
- Walter FM, Thompson MJ, Wellwood I, Abel GA, Hamilton W, Johnson M, Lyratzopoulos G, Messenger MP, Neal RD, Rubin G, Singh H, Spencer A, Sutton S, Vedstead P, Emery JD. Evaluating diagnostic strategies for early detection of cancer: the CanTest framework. BMC Cancer, 2019, 19:586