Matthew’s research has focussed on improving the diagnosis of serious illness in primary care settings, initially with a focus on childhood illness, and now expanding to the shared issues in diagnosis for cancer. His research has examined the role of clinical features to improving diagnosis, the use of clinical prediction rules and new methods around diagnostic testing.
Matthew is the Director of the Primary Care Innovation Lab at the UW, which is working to bridge gaps between new technology/innovations and the primary care clinical and research settings, to help identify and create evidence for new technologies that could transform diagnosis in general practice. He is currently funded by PCORI in the US to determine new methods for including patient centered outcomes in imaging tests in primary care.
Matthew has worked as a GP in England, and currently works as a Family Physician in a family medicine clinic in Seattle.
University of Washington (UW), Seattle, US
Early diagnosis, new technology in primary care, mixed methods
- Tests and tools for the detection of ovarian cancer in primary care
- Optimising diagnostic strategies for patients presenting to primary care with upper abdominal symptoms to improve the pathway to the early detection of pancreatic cancer
- Achieving earlier cancer diagnosis in primary care using routine blood test results: a study using US healthcare claims data
- Examination of Diagnostic Pathways of People with Lung Cancer (PhD)
- Are common blood tests being optimally used for early cancer diagnosis? (PhD)
- Investigation of potential for using point of care tests for early cancer diagnosis in primary care (PhD)
- Development and pilot testing of measurement tool for diagnosis of lung cancer
- Experiences along the diagnostic pathway for patients with advanced lung cancer
- Nicholson BD, Perera R, Thompson MJ. Editorials: The elusive diagnosis of cancer: Testing times. British Journal of General Practice, 2018, 68:676, 510-511
- Walter FM, Thompson MJ, Wellwood I, Abel GA, Hamilton W, Johnson M, Lyratzopoulos G, Messenger MP, Neal RD, Rubin G, Singh H, Spencer A, Sutton S, Vedstead P, Emery JD. Evaluating diagnostic strategies for early detection of cancer: the CanTest framework. BMC Cancer, 2019, 19:586
- Merriel SWD, Hardy V, Thompson M, Walter FM, Hamilton W. Patient-centered outcomes from multiparametric magnetic resonance imaging (mpMRI) and MRI-guided biopsy for prostate cancer: A systematic review. Journal of the American College of Radiology, 2019, S1546-1440(19)31032-4
- Funston G, Van Melle M, Ladegaard Baun M-L, Jensen H, Helsper C, Emery J, Crosbie EJ, Thompson M, Hamilton W, Walter F. Variation in the initial assessment and investigation for ovarian cancer in symptomatic women: a systematic review of international guidelines. BMC Cancer, 2019, 19:1028 doi:10.1186/s12885-019-6211-2
- Kobrin SC, Thompson MJ, Sarma EA. A Proposal to Improve the Early Diagnosis of Symptomatic Cancers in the US. Cancer Prevention Research, 2020, doi: 10.1158/1940-6207.CAPR-20-0115.