Yoryos is a Professor of Cancer Healthcare Epidemiology and leads the Epidemiology of Cancer Healthcare and Outcomes (ECHO) group and the CanTest team within the University College London (UCL) Department of Behavioural Science and Health. He joined UCL in 2015, at the start of his Cancer Research UK Advanced Clinician Scientist Fellowship. He has a background in epidemiology, health services research, public health and internal medicine.
Empirical or conceptual work that Yoryos has led is cited in the current National Cancer Strategy for England 2015-2020 (Achieving World-Class Cancer Outcomes; the U.S. Institute of Medicine Report “Improving Diagnosis in Health Care”; and the narrative review of the WHO working party on the Global Burden of Diagnostic Errors in Primary Care (2016).
In 2016 Yoryos was awarded the Cancer Research UK Future Leader Prize, a prestigious award that recognises individuals who have demonstrated world-leading potential within their first ten post-doctoral years, being the first epidemiologist to be given the Prize.
Follow Yoryos on Twitter @Glyratzopoulos
University College London, UK
Cancer healthcare epidemiology; early diagnosis research; variation in measures/markers of early diagnosis; cancer patient experience surveys
- Understanding missed diagnostic opportunities in bladder and kidney cancer
- International dataset inventory for the CanTest collaborative
- Conceptualising and measuring patient experience in the diagnosis of cancer
- Evaluating the impact of NICE guidelines for suspected cancers in respect of diagnostic interval and other outcomes
- Guideline discordant diagnostic care: when do referrals not reflect guidelines for suspected cancer?
- Diagnostic processes and use of investigations before a cancer diagnosis in patients with comorbidities
- CanTest: Social Network Analysis
- Forster AS, Renzi C, Lyratzopoulos G. Diagnosing cancer in patients with ‘non-alarm’ symptoms: Learning from diagnostic care innovations in Denmark. Cancer Epidemiology, 2018; 54, 101-103
- Stanciu MA, Law R-J, Nafees S, Hendry M, Yeo ST, Hiscock J, Lewis R, Edwards RT, Williams NH, Brain K, Brocklehurst P, Carson-Stevens A, Dolwani S, Emery J, Hamilton W, Hoare Z, Lyratzopoulos G, Rubin G, Smits S, Vedsted P, Walter FM, Wilkinson C, Neal RD. Development of an intervention to expedite cancer diagnosis through primary care: Protocol. BJGP Open 4 September 2018; bjgpopen18X101595
- Herbert A, Lyratzopoulos G., Whelan J., Taylor R.M., Barber J., Gibson F., Fern L.A. Diagnostic timeliness in adolescents and young adults with cancer: a cross-sectional analysis of the BRIGHTLIGHT cohort. The Lancet Child and Adolescent Health, 2018; 2(3): 180-190
- Lyratzopoulos G. Electronic patient records research to aid diagnostic reasoning for possible cancer in primary care. Br J Gen Pract 2018; 68 (674): 408-409
- Salika T, Abel GA, Mendonca SC, von Wagner C, Renzi C, Herbert A, McPhail S, Lyratzopoulos G. Associations between diagnostic pathways and care experience in colorectal cancer: evidence from patient-reported data. Frontline Gastroenterology 2018;9:241-248
- Renzi C, Lyratzopoulos G, Hamilton W, Rachet B. Opportunities for reducing emergency diagnoses of colon cancer in women and men: a data-linkage study on pre-diagnostic symptomatic presentations and benign diagnoses. Eur Journal Cancer Care. 2019. e13000. doi: 10.1111/ecc.13000
- Herbert A, Abel GA, Winters S, McPhail S, Elliss-Brookes L, Lyratzopoulos G. Are inequalities in cancer diagnosis through emergency presentation narrowing, widening or remaining unchanged? Longitudinal analysis of English population-based data 2006-2013. J Epidemiol Community Health, 2019, 73(1): 3-10
- Mendonca SC, Abel GA, Gildea C, McPhail S, Peake MD, Rubin G, Singh H, Hamilton W, Walter FM, Roland MO, Lyratzopoulos G. Associations between general practice characteristics with use of urgent referrals for suspected cancer and endoscopies: a cross-sectional ecological study. Family Practice, 2018, cmy118
- Herbert A, Koo MM, Barclay ME, Greenberg DC, Abel GA, Levell NJ, Lyratzopoulos G. Stage-specific incidence trends of melanoma in an English region, 1996–2015: longitudinal analyses of population-based data. Melanoma Research, 2018. doi: 10.1097/CMR.0000000000000489
- Maringe C, Rachet B, Lyratzopoulos G, Rubio FJ. Persistent inequalities in unplanned hospitalisation among colon cancer patients across critical phases of their care pathway, England, 2011–13. British Journal of Cancer, 2018, 119:5, 551-557
- Zhou Y, Funston G, Lyratzopoulos G, Walter FM. Improving the Timely Detection of Bladder and Kidney Cancer in Primary Care. Advances in Therapy, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12325-019-00966-x
- Watson J, Salisbury C, Banks J, Whiting P, Hamilton W. Predictive value of inflammatory markers for cancer diagnosis in primary care: a prospective cohort study using electronic health records. British Journal of Cancer, 2019, 120:1045-1051