Beth leads the University of Leeds hub of CanTest. She leads a team who specialise in test evaluation research in Leeds and is an Associate Professor of Health Economics at the Leeds Institute of Health Sciences. Her research focuses on the evaluation of medical tests, and she is specifically interested in the evidence used to underpin modelling assumptions around the benefits and harms (including costs) associated with the earlier diagnosis of cancer.
Beth is also Associate Director of the NIHR Leeds In Vitro Diagnostics Co-operative, leading their methodology portfolio. She is working on the Yorkshire Lung Screening Trial, funded by Yorkshire Cancer Research and IDX-LUNG, a biomarker study alongside the NHS England Targeted Lung Health Check programme.
Beth is also supervising Stephen Bradley, who is doing a PhD on the utility of chest x-ray for the diagnosis of lung cancer.
Follow Beth on Twitter @bethshinkins
View Beth’s LinkedIn Profile
+44 (0)1133 430873
University of Leeds, UK
Health Economics, Statistics
- The role of imaging in the diagnosis of lung cancer in primary care
- Cancer referral in younger patients – do age threshold guidelines need updating?
- Investigating the use of routine blood tests and reflex testing to improve the early diagnosis of myeloma
- Urgent referrals for suspected cancer in England 2009/10-2019/20: temporal trend analysis of population-based routine data
- Target Product Profiles for Early Cancer Diagnostics
- Bradley SH, Abraham S, Callister M, Grice A, Hamilton W, Rodriguez Lopez R, Shinkin B, Neal R. Sensitivity of chest x-ray for detecting lung cancer in people presenting with symptoms: systematic review. British Journal of General Practice, 2019, doi: 10.3399/bjgp19X706853
- Smith AF, Shinkins B, Hall PS, Hulme CT, Messenger MP. Towards a framework for outcome-based analytical performance specifications: a methodology review of indirect methods for evaluating the impact of measurement uncertainty on clinical outcomes. Clinical Chemistry,65:11 (1363-1374), doi: 10.1373/clinchem.2018.300954
- di Martino E, Ayaz-Shah A, Shinkins B, Jain S, Neal RD. A urine test for bladder cancer: available soon in primary care? Trends in Urology & Men’s Health, 2020, 11(4), doi: 10.1002/tre.760
- Bradley SH, Hatton NLF, Aslam R, Bhartia B, Callister MEJ, Kennedy MPT, Mounce L, Shinkins B, Hamilton WT, Neal RD. Estimating lung cancer risk from chest x-ray and symptoms: a prospective cohort study. British Journal of General Practice, 2020, doi: 10.3399/bjgp20X713993
- Bradley SH, Shinkins B, Kennedy MP. What is the balance of benefits and harms for lung cancer screening with low-dose computed tomography? Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine, 2021, 114(4):164-170. doi: 10.1177/0141076821991108