A Professor of General Practice and Primary Care at Newcastle University, Greg was a co-applicant on the successful bid for the CanTest CRUK Catalyst Award and now chairs the CanTest Steering Group.
Greg has been active in early diagnosis research for over 20 years and was closely involved in many of the activities that resulted from the English Cancer Reform Strategy in 2007, collectively known as the National Awareness and Early Diagnosis Initiative. He continues to advise on these matters at a national level. Of particular note is his clinical leadership of the National Cancer Diagnosis Audits, the first in 2010, the second in 2016. These have generated many new insights into the process of cancer diagnosis and use of diagnostic tests by GPs, and have informed new models of cancer services at the interface between primary and secondary care. His research group has undertaken evaluations of the ACE programme of Multidisciplinary Diagnostic Centres.
In 2017 Greg was awarded the Cancer Research UK Jane Wardle Prevention and Early Diagnosis Prize for world-leading research in the field of prevention and early diagnosis of cancer.
Follow Greg on Twitter @GregRubin4
+44 (0)7831 617963
Newcastle University, UK
Early diagnosis, cancer services
- Rubin G, Walter F, Emery J, and de Wit N. Reimagining the diagnostic pathway for gastro-intestinal cancer. Nature Reviews Gastroenterology and Hepatology, 2018; doi:10.1038/nrgastro.2018.1
- Stanciu MA, Law R-J, Nafees S, Hendry M, Yeo ST, Hiscock J, Lewis R, Edwards RT, Williams NH, Brain K, Brocklehurst P, Carson-Stevens A, Dolwani S, Emery J, Hamilton W, Hoare Z, Lyratzopoulos G, Rubin G, Smits S, Vedsted P, Walter FM, Wilkinson C, Neal RD. Development of an intervention to expedite cancer diagnosis through primary care: Protocol. BJGP Open 4 September 2018; bjgpopen18X101595
- Mendonca SC, Abel GA, Gildea C, McPhail S, Peake MD, Rubin G, Singh H, Hamilton W, Walter FM, Roland MO, Lyratzopoulos G. Associations between general practice characteristics with use of urgent referrals for suspected cancer and endoscopies: a cross-sectional ecological study. Family Practice, 2018, cmy118
- Walter FM, Thompson MJ, Wellwood I, Abel GA, Hamilton W, Johnson M, Lyratzopoulos G, Messenger MP, Neal RD, Rubin G, Singh H, Spencer A, Sutton S, Vedstead P, Emery JD. Evaluating diagnostic strategies for early detection of cancer: the CanTest framework. BMC Cancer, 2019, 19:586
- Renzi C, Kaushal A, Emery J, Hamilton W, Neal RD, Rachet B, Rubin G, Singh H, Walter FM, de Wit NJ, Lyratzopoulos G. Comorbid chronic diseases and cancer diagnosis: disease-specific effects and underlying mechanisms. Nature Reviews: Clinical Oncology, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1038/s41571-019-0249-6