Monica is a postdoctoral Research Associate based in the ECHO (Epidemiology of Cancer Healthcare and Outcomes) research group led by Professor Yoryos Lyratzopoulos at UCL. She studied Biomedical Sciences (BSc) and Public Health (MPH) at Imperial College London before joining UCL in 2015 to undertake a PhD in presenting symptoms and diagnostic timeliness funded by the UK Department of Health’s Policy Research Unit in Cancer Awareness, Screening and Early Diagnosis.
Monica’s current projects build on her doctoral research on symptom epidemiology, and are driven by the aims of improving diagnostic pathways in primary care and public health policies to support early diagnosis.
Find Monica on Twitter: @mmkoo12
+44 (0)203 108 3293
University College London, UK
Cancer symptoms; symptomatic diagnosis; epidemiology.
- Koo MM, Rubin G, McPhail S, Lyratzopoulos G. Incidentally diagnosed cancer: population-based evidence on frequency, variation, and commonly preceding clinical scenarios. BMJ Open, 2019, 9:e028362
- Koo MM, Swann R, McPhail S, Abel GA, Elliss-Brookes L, Rubin GP, Lyratzopoulos G. Presenting symptoms of cancer and stage at diagnosis: evidence from a cross-sectional, population-based study. The Lancet Oncology, 2019, doi: 10.1016/S1470-2045(19)30595-9
- Herbert A, Koo MM, Barclay ME, Greenberg DC, Abel GA, Levell NJ, Lyratzopoulos G. Stage-specific incidence trends of melanoma in an English region, 1996–2015: longitudinal analyses of population-based data. Melanoma Research, 2018. doi: 10.1097/CMR.0000000000000489
- Koo MM, Lyratzopoulos G, Herbert A, Abel GA, Taylor RM, Barber JA, Gibson F, Whelan J, Fern LA. Association of Self-reported Presenting Symptoms With Timeliness of Help-Seeking Among Adolescents and Young Adults With Cancer in the BRIGHTLIGHT Study. JAMA Netw Open. 2020 Sep 1;3(9):e2015437. doi: 10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2020.15437
- Koo MM, Swann R, McPhail S, Abel GA, Renzi C, Rubin GP, Lyratzopoulos G. The prevalence of chronic conditions in patients diagnosed with one of 29 common and rarer cancers: A cross-sectional study using primary care data. Cancer Epidemiology, 2020, 69: 101845, doi: 10.1016/j.canep.2020.101845
- Koo MM, Unger-Saldana K, Mwaka AD, Corbex M, Ginsburg O, Walter FM, Calanzani N, Moodley J, Rubin GP, Lyratzopoulos G. Conceptual Framework to Guide Early Diagnosis Programs for Symptomatic Cancer as Part of Global Cancer Control. JCO Global Oncology, 2021 Jan: 7:35-45, doi: 10.1200/GO.20.00310