Dr Monica Koo
Monica is a postdoctoral Research Associate based in the ECHO (Epidemiology of Cancer Healthcare and Outcomes) research group led by Professor Yoryos Lyratzopoulos at UCL. She studied Biomedical Sciences (BSc) and Public Health (MPH) at Imperial College London before joining UCL in 2015 to undertake a PhD in presenting symptoms and diagnostic timeliness funded by the UK Department of Health’s Policy Research Unit in Cancer Awareness, Screening and Early Diagnosis.
Monica’s current projects build on her doctoral research on symptom epidemiology, and are driven by the aims of improving diagnostic pathways in primary care and public health policies to support early diagnosis.
Find Monica on Twitter: @mmkoo12
+44 (0)203 108 3293
University College London, UK
Cancer symptoms; symptomatic diagnosis; epidemiology.
- Comorbidities among patients diagnosed with cancer & how they influence the diagnostic process in primary care
- Conceptual framework for early symptomatic diagnosis of cancer
- Patterns of clinical investigation before cancer diagnosis in primary care
- Variation in timeliness of diagnostic investigations for symptomatic patients and effect on cancer outcomes: facilitating the implementation of Faster Diagnosis Standards
- Koo MM, Rubin G, McPhail S, Lyratzopoulos G. Incidentally diagnosed cancer: population-based evidence on frequency, variation, and commonly preceding clinical scenarios. BMJ Open, 2019, 9:e028362
- Koo MM, Swann R, McPhail S, Abel GA, Elliss-Brookes L, Rubin GP, Lyratzopoulos G. Presenting symptoms of cancer and stage at diagnosis: evidence from a cross-sectional, population-based study. The Lancet Oncology, 2019, doi: 10.1016/S1470-2045(19)30595-9
- Herbert A, Koo MM, Barclay ME, Greenberg DC, Abel GA, Levell NJ, Lyratzopoulos G. Stage-specific incidence trends of melanoma in an English region, 1996–2015: longitudinal analyses of population-based data. Melanoma Research, 2018. doi: 10.1097/CMR.0000000000000489
- Koo MM, Lyratzopoulos G, Herbert A, Abel GA, Taylor RM, Barber JA, Gibson F, Whelan J, Fern LA. Association of Self-reported Presenting Symptoms With Timeliness of Help-Seeking Among Adolescents and Young Adults With Cancer in the BRIGHTLIGHT Study. JAMA Netw Open. 2020 Sep 1;3(9):e2015437. doi: 10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2020.15437
- Koo MM, Swann R, McPhail S, Abel GA, Renzi C, Rubin GP, Lyratzopoulos G. The prevalence of chronic conditions in patients diagnosed with one of 29 common and rarer cancers: A cross-sectional study using primary care data. Cancer Epidemiology, 2020, 69: 101845, doi: 10.1016/j.canep.2020.101845
- Koo MM, Unger-Saldana K, Mwaka AD, Corbex M, Ginsburg O, Walter FM, Calanzani N, Moodley J, Rubin GP, Lyratzopoulos G. Conceptual Framework to Guide Early Diagnosis Programs for Symptomatic Cancer as Part of Global Cancer Control. JCO Global Oncology, 2021 Jan: 7:35-45, doi: 10.1200/GO.20.00310
- Herbert A, Barclay ME, Koo MM, Rous B, Greenberg DC, Abel G, Lyratzopoulos G. Stage–specific incidence trends of renal cancers in the East of England, 1999–2016. Cancer Epidemiology, 2021, 71(A), doi: 10.1016/j.canep.2020.101883
- Koo MM, Swann R, McPhail S, Abel GA, Renzi C, Rubin GP, Lyratzopoulos G. Morbidity and measures of the diagnostic process in primary care for patients subsequently diagnosed with cancer. Family Practice. 2021 Nov 30. doi: 10.1093/fampra/cmab139
- Forster AS, Herbert A, Koo MM, Taylor RM, Gibson F, Whelan JF, Lyratzopoulos G, Fern LA. Associations between diagnostic time intervals and health-related quality of life, clinical anxiety and depression in adolescents and young adults with cancer: cross-sectional analysis of the BRIGHTLIGHT cohort. Br J Cancer (2022). doi: 10.1038/s41416-022-01698-6