Sam is a GP and CanTest Clinical Research Fellow. His PhD will focus on assessing the safety, acceptability and cost-effectiveness of MRI scans for prostate cancer diagnosis in primary care. His research interests include early detection of cancer in primary care, application of genomics in primary care, and preventive medicine.
Sam is also a member of the active surveillance expert reference group for Prostate Cancer UK.
Follow Sam on Twitter @SamMerriel
View Sam’s LinkedIn profile.
University of Exeter, UK
Clinical research, prostate cancer, cancer prevention
- Merriel SWD, Martins T, Bailey SER. Exploring the Causes of Death Among Patients With Metastatic Prostate Cancer – A Changing Landscape. JAMA Network Open, 4(8):e2120889
- Sheppard AL, McInnes MDF, Merriel SWD, Rowe EWJ, Bryant RJ, Donovan JL, Whiting P. Comparison of multiparametric magnet resonance imaging and targeted biopsy with systematic biopsy alone for the diagnosis of prostate cancer: A systematic review and meta-analysis. JAMA Network Open, 2019, 2(8):e198427
- Merriel SWD, Hardy V, Thompson M, Walter FM, Hamilton W. Patient-centered outcomes from multiparametric magnetic resonance imaging (mpMRI) and MRI-guided biopsy for prostate cancer: A systematic review. Journal of the American College of Radiology, 2019, S1546-1440(19)31032-4
- Martins T, Merriel SWD, Hamilton W. Routes to diagnosis of symptomatic cancer in sub-Saharan Africa: systematic review. BMJ Open, 2020;10:e038605. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2020-038605
- Merriel SWD, Moon, D; Dunde, P; Corcoran, N; Carroll, P; Partin, A; Smith, J A; Hamdy, F; Moore, C; Ost, P; Costello, T. A modified Delphi study to develop a practical guide for selecting patients with prostate cancer for Active Surveillance. BMC Urology, 2021; 21:18, doi: 10.1186/s12894-021-00789-5
- Merriel SWD, Hamilton W. Improving early cancer diagnosis in primary care. Prescriber, 2020, 31:9, 10-14, doi: 10.1002/psb.1862
- Merriel SWD, Ingle SM, May MT, Martin RM. Retrospective cohort study evaluating clinical, biochemical and pharmacological prognostic factors for prostate cancer progression using primary care data. BMJ Open, 2021;11:e044420. doi 10.1136/bmjopen-2020-044420
- Merriel SWD, Pocock L, Gilbert E, Creavin S, Walter FM, Spencer A, Hamilton W. Systematic review and meta-analysis of the diagnostic accuracy of prostate-specific antigen (PSA) for the detection of prostate cancer in symptomatic patients. BMC Med 20, 54 (2022). doi: 10.1186/s12916-021-02230-y
- Merriel SWD, Lee L, Neal R. Community diagnostic centres: Bringing diagnostics closer to home. British Journal of General Practice 2021; 71 (713): 534-535. doi: 10.3399/bjgp21X717701
- Merriel SWD. Lymphoma for GPs across the cancer continuum. InnovAiT. January 2022. doi: 10.1177/17557380211066121
- Hardy V, Yue A, Archer S, Merriel SWD, Thompson M, Emery J, Usher-Smith J, Walter FM. Role of primary care physician factors on diagnostic testing and referral decisions for symptoms of possible cancer: a systematic review. BMJ Open 2022;12:e053732. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2021-053732