Sam is a GP and CanTest Clinical Research Fellow. His PhD will focus on assessing the safety, acceptability and cost-effectiveness of MRI scans for prostate cancer diagnosis in primary care. His research interests include early detection of cancer in primary care, application of genomics in primary care, and preventive medicine.
Sam is also a member of the active surveillance expert reference group for Prostate Cancer UK.
Follow Sam on Twitter @SamMerriel
View Sam’s LinkedIn profile.
University of Exeter, UK
Clinical research, prostate cancer, cancer prevention
- Elwenspoek MMC, Sheppard AL, McInnes MDF, Merriel SWD, Rowe EWJ, Bryant RJ, Donovan JL, Whiting P. Comparison of multiparametric magnet resonance imaging and targeted biopsy with systematic biopsy alone for the diagnosis of prostate cancer: A systematic review and meta-analysis. JAMA Network Open, 2019, 2(8):e198427
- Merriel SWD, Hardy V, Thompson M, Walter FM, Hamilton W. Patient-centered outcomes from multiparametric magnetic resonance imaging (mpMRI) and MRI-guided biopsy for prostate cancer: A systematic review. Journal of the American College of Radiology, 2019, S1546-1440(19)31032-4
- Martins T, Merriel SWD, Hamilton W. Routes to diagnosis of symptomatic cancer in sub-Saharan Africa: systematic review. BMJ Open, 2020;10:e038605. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2020-038605
- Merriel SWD, Moon, D; Dunde, P; Corcoran, N; Carroll, P; Partin, A; Smith, J A; Hamdy, F; Moore, C; Ost, P; Costello, T. A modified Delphi study to develop a practical guide for selecting patients with prostate cancer for Active Surveillance. BMC Urology, 2021; 21:18, doi: 10.1186/s12894-021-00789-5
- Merriel SWD, Hamilton W. Improving early cancer diagnosis in primary care. Prescriber, 2020, 31:9, 10-14, doi: 10.1002/psb.1862