Owain works as a Clinical Research Associate with the CanTest team in the Primary Care Unit at the University of Cambridge in the Cancer group led by Dr Fiona Walter. He is looking at the use of dermoscopy in UK primary care for the diagnosis of malignant melanoma. Dermoscopy is a non-invasive technique using polarised light and magnification to look at suspicious skin lesions in more detail. It has been widely recommended for GP use by clinical commissioning groups and experts, but currently there is a lack of evidence for its use in primary care. He is primarily interested in the accuracy of dermoscopy, its acceptability to patients and GPs, and whether it can be used effectively to improve the triage of suspicious skin lesions in primary care.
Owain’s background is in clinical medicine having attended Brighton and Sussex Medical School and completed GP training in Bridgend, South Wales. He completed the MPhil in Clinical Sciences at the University of Cambridge, researching the protein complexes that underlie the Charcot-Marie-Tooth Diseases. He currently combines his CanTest role with work as a part-time GP.
University of Cambridge, UK
Dermoscopy, melanoma, primary care
- A systematic review to evaluate whether dermoscopy can be used accurately and effectively in primary care to improve the timely diagnosis of melanoma
- Establishing which modalities of artificial intelligence machine learning (AI/ML) for early detection and diagnosis of cancer are ready for implementation in primary care in the NHS: a Systematic Review
- Understanding and implementing artificial intelligence technologies to improve skin cancer assessment in primary care settings (PhD)
- Jones OT, Ranmuthu CKI, Hall PN, Funston G, Walter F. Recognising Skin Cancer in Primary Care. Advances in Therapy, 2019, 1-14, doi: 10.1007/s12325-019-01130-1
- Jones OT, Jurascheck LC, van Melle MA, Hickman S, Burrows NP, Hall PN, Emery J, Walter FM. Dermoscopy for melanoma detection and triage in primary care: a systematic review. British Medical Journal Open, 2019, 9:e027529, doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2018-027529
- Jones OT, Jurascheck LC, Utukuri M, Pannebakker MM, Emery J, Walter FM. Dermoscopy use in UK primary care: a survey of GPs with a special interest in dermatology. Journal of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology, 2019, doi: 10.1111/jdv.15614
- Jones OT, Calanzani N, Saji S, Duffy SW, Emery J, Hamilton W, Singh H, de Wit NJ, Walter FM. Artificial Intelligence Techniques That May Be Applied to Primary Care Data to Facilitate Earlier Diagnosis of Cancer: Systematic Review. J Med Internet Res, 2021;23(3):e23483. doi: 10.2196/23483
- Jones OT, Matin RN, van der Schaar M, Prathivadi Bhayankaram K, Ranmuthu CKI, Islam MS, Behiyat D, Boscott R, Calanzani N, Emery J, Williams HC, Walter FM. Artificial intelligence and machine learning algorithms for early detection of skin cancer in community and primary care settings: a systematic review. The Lancet Digital Health June 2022. doi: 10.1016/S2589-7500(22)00023-1